Formal obligation for visitors to Germany ("Verpflichtungserklärung")
Enlarge image Bright students (© dpa/pa) Visa applicants need to show proof of financial means to finance their trip to and stay in Germany. In some cases, the applicant may be asked to present a formal obligation (also called letter of financial support) signed by the sponsor who pays for the expenses of the visa applicant in Germany.
- In order to show that they have sufficient financial means for their stay in Germany, foreign students may be asked to present a letter of financial support ("Verpflichtungserklärung") or to open a blocked bank account (Sperrkonto). The German Consulates in Canada can not issue a letter of financial support for foreign students in Germany.
More information about a blocked account for students
- Booking an appointment for obtaining a sponsor letter does not guarantee its receipt. The Consular officer will decide on a case by case basis depending on the proof of financial means and living situation presented at the time of the appointment if a sponsor letter can be issued. If documents are missing or the sponsor is unable to show suffient financial means, a new appointment may be booked.
- The financial support letter can only be obtained at the German Consulate in Toronto. The sponsor has to come to the Consulate in person.
- The sponsor has to sign in front of the Consular officer. The form is only available at the Consulate.
- If a letter of financial support is issued, the sponsor will receive the original document which visa applicant must present in original at the time of their visa application. A copy remains at the Consulate.
The German Consulate Toronto can issue a letter of financial support for the sponsor if he/she meets the requirements. The Consulate can confirm, but will not assure or prove financial ability for the sponsor, and therefore the letter might not be accepted by the aliens authority. The certification of the signature of the sponsor on the financial sponsorship letter can only be obtained at the Consulate in Toronto if the sponsor applies in person and presents a valid passport to ensure proper identification.
Please book an appointment for the category 'general consular services' at the German consulate in Toronto.
To obtain a letter of financial support, the following documents are required. An appointment at the Consulate must be booked.
Information about the receiver (the visitor/visa applicant):
Simple copy of their valid passport
Copy of the confirmation of the visa application with file number and location of the visa office
Information about the sponsor:
Valid passport and Canadian Permanent Resident Card or Visa as original with copy
Recent original letter of the employer (not older than 2 weeks) with information about the position, length of employment, termination, monthly income as original with copy
Bank statements for the last 6 months and information about mortgages, bank credits and other debts as original with copy
Tax information, e.g. the last T-4-Slip, last Income Tax Statements as original with copy