Legalization of Canadian birth, marriage and death certificates issued by Vital Statistics

Heiratsurkunde_International Enlarge image (© dpa)

Canadian civil status certificates (e.g. birth, marriage or death certificates) issued by Vital Statistics need to be authenticated by the competent Canadian authority prior to the legalization by the German Consulate Toronto.

Please inquire with the German authoirity that demands the certificate whether they require the 'short form' or 'long form' of the document to be legalized. In most cases the 'long form' will be required as it contains more information. Only original documents can be legalized. A legalization of a verified copy is not possible.

Legalization of Canadian Vital Statistics Certificates


Book Your Appointment


The Consulates General in Toronto and Vancouver are using an online appointment booking system. Please book your appointment in advance:

Appointments - Consulate in Toronto

Appointments - Consulate in Vancouver

Please note that for the time being the Safari browser is incompatible with the appointment booking system.

Appointments with Honorary Consuls may be booked over the phone. Please find their contact details here.

No Consular Service at the German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal


The German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal do not offer consular services. For consular matters please contact the Consulate General in Toronto. For short-term Schengen visas, please contact the Embassy of Austria in Ottawa.