Life Events

Throughout our lives, we may experience many important events such as getting married or having a baby. We offer a range of resources and services to assist you with some of the administrative aspects of these events.

baby feet

Birth of a Child in Canada

A German citizen being parent of a child born in Canada can register the birth at the German Registrar’s office ("Standesamt“) and apply for German Birth Certificates through the competent German Foreign Mission.


Declaration of Name Change

Have you changed your name outside of Germany (eg due to marriage or divorce), or are you a parent to a child born in Canada and would like to apply for the child's first German passport with us?  Please note that you may have to submit a Declaration of Name Change prior to applying for a passport.


Marriage in Canada and Germany

Marriage in Canada is recognized by German authorities; however for legal proof your marriage certificate has to be legalised.  More information on legalization can be found here. Please note that a...


Recognition of a Divorce

Divorce proceedings do not necessarily have to be initiated in the state where the marriage was contracted. If one of the spouses is a German citizen, divorce proceedings can be initiated in Germany, ...


Death of a Relative: Corpse/Urn Transport Permit

Germany has very strict laws on how to handle human remains. As a general rule, all coffins and urns have to be buried in licensed graveyards. Private citizens are not allowed to have urns in their po...

Legal Symbols, (c) picture-alliance/chromorange

Inheritance Matters: Estate in Germany

General Information In Germany, the heir proves his/her legal right by a Certificate of Inheritance which is issued by the competent German probate court upon notarized application. It is normally r...

family tree

Genealogy and Search Services in Germany and Canada

Please note that the German Foreign Missions cannot assist with genealogical research. Please consult the English language manual of the German Association of Genealogists (see link on right side).

Book Your Appointment


The Consulates General in Toronto and Vancouver are using an online appointment booking system. Please book your appointment in advance:

Appointments - Consulate in Toronto

Appointments - Consulate in Vancouver

Please note that for the time being the Safari browser is incompatible with the appointment booking system.

Appointments with Honorary Consuls may be booked over the phone. Please find their contact details here.

No Consular Service at the German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal


The German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal do not offer consular services. For consular matters please contact the Consulate General in Toronto. For short-term Schengen visas, please contact the Embassy of Austria in Ottawa.