Birth of a Child in Canada

baby feet Enlarge image (© colourbox) A German citizen being parent of a child born in Canada can register the birth at the German Registrar’s office ("Standesamt“) and apply for German Birth Certificates through the competent German Foreign Mission. 

Read more about registration of births and birth certificates...

You can order the long form of the Canadian Birth Certificate at the Registrar General in your province. Please note that Canadian Birth Certificates have to be legalised prior to use in Germany.

As the child’s name indicated on the Canadian Birth Certificate is not automatically legally valid for Germany, the parent’s choice of the child’s name has to be declared and signed in writing.

Important note for Germans born abroad after December 31, 1999:

Children born abroad to one or more German parents who themselves were born abroad on or after 1 January 2000 (entry into force of the revised Nationality Act), will in principle no longer acquire German nationality. The only exceptions to this rule are if the child would otherwise be stateless or if the German parent(s) register(s) the birth with the German mission responsible for where they live within one year of the birth of the child (section 4 (4) of the Nationality Act).

Baby Zehenspiel

Registration of births and birth certificates

There is no legal obligation to announce the birth of a child to a German parent abroad, nor to request a German birth certificate. Both are not usually necessarily, since the Canadian birth certificate corresponds to the German birth certificate and is recognized by German authorities (if necessary with legalisation and translation). What is more, a German birth certificate represents no proof of German nationality.  However in certain cases it is recommended to apply for a birth announcement or a German birth certificate; for example, if you plan to move to Germany in the foreseeable future.

Name Declaration for a Child

If a child of German parents is born outside of Germany, the child' name is not automatically evident according to German law, even if in the foreign (e.g. Canadian) birth certificate of the child a surname is already indicated.


Passports for Minors

Children require their own travel documents when traveling to other countries. The German Foreign Missions in Canada issue biometric passports for minors. Passport applications must be filed in person, children including.

Birth of a Child in Canada


Book Your Appointment


The Consulates General in Toronto and Vancouver are using an online appointment booking system. Please book your appointment in advance:

Appointments - Consulate in Toronto

Appointments - Consulate in Vancouver

Please note that for the time being the Safari browser is incompatible with the appointment booking system.

Appointments with Honorary Consuls may be booked over the phone. Please find their contact details here.

No Consular Service at the German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal


The German Embassy in Ottawa and the Consulate General in Montreal do not offer consular services. For consular matters please contact the Consulate General in Toronto. For short-term Schengen visas, please contact the Embassy of Austria in Ottawa.