Name change after divorce
Enlarge image Divorce (© dpa/pa)
You have a name from a former marriage, are divorced by now, and would like to go back to your maiden name or the name you carried before your marriage?
In order to change your name, you have to give a name declaration in accordance with German law. You can apply for a new passport under the new name only after you have received certificate confirming the change of name.
Please note: If you were divorced outside of Germany, the foreign divorce decree has to be acknowledged by a German court before you give any name declarations. Until then, your divorce is not considered valid according to German law. You can find more information here: Anerkennung einer ausländischen Ehescheidung (Acknowledgment of a foreign divorce decree)
- Gültige Permanent Resident Card bzw. ein gültiges Visum für Kanada des Antragstellers
(each as original and two copies)
Please be advised that the following are documents that have to be presented in routine cases. In individual cases the consulate or the civil registry in Germany can demand further documentation.
- Filled out application form (see below), not signed
- Valid German passport of the applicant
- If last German passport was issued in Germany: Proof of de-registration (Abmeldebescheinigung)
- Birth certificate(If born in Canada: "long form"/"registration of life birth", issued by the respective province)
- Official marriage certificate (if married in Canada: “long form”, issued by the respective province; marriage certificates issued by religious institutions or marriage license / proof of solemnization of marriage are not sufficient)
- Official divorce decree or divorce order
- If applicable: proof of acknowledgment of the divorce by a German court (if divorce order was ruled outside of Germany, the divorce always has to be acknowledged by a German court)
- Valid Permanent Residence card or valid visa for Canada
Documents issued in a foreign language except German or English have to be presented with translation