Passports for Minors

General information

The German Consulates in Toronto and Vancouver issue biometric passports for children. 

A passport issued for a child will be valid for a maximum of 6 years.

Passport applications must be filed in person at the Consulate or certain Honorary Consuls office responsible for your consular district.

To find out which foreign mission is responsible for your consular district please consult our Service Overview.

Do I need a Name Declaration for my child?

Please be aware that the surname on a non-German birth certificate is not always valid for German jurisdiction.

If one of the following statements applies to your child, you will have to declare your child's surname for the German jurisdiction by submitting a Name Declaration before you apply for a German passport.

  • Your child is born after August 31, 1986, the parents were married at the time of birth, and have different surnames, or one of them uses a hyphenated or compound surname.
  • the child's parents were not married at the time of birth and you would like to use the surname of the father.
  • the child was born in Québec or the parents got married in Québec.

  • Due to the complexity of the German name law, we advise you to get in touch with the consulate beforehand to determine whether your child needs a name declaration, even if it does not fall under these categories.

More about name declaration for a child

Who has to apply for my child's passport?


Both parents / all legal guardians and the child must be present at the consulate during the passport application.

If a parent / legal guardian cannot be present, the signature on the application form has to be verified by one of the following authorities ONLY: A German authority in Germany, a German diplomatic representation (embassy, consulate or honorary consulate), a German notary public (Notar) or a Canadian notary public.

If a parent has sole custody of the child, a court order is required as proof.

How long does it take to get my passport?

It might take 8 to 10 weeks for the passport to be sent to you, as passports are printed in Berlin by the Bundesdruckerei. Please note that it is not possible first time applicants to apply for an Express passport, as the citizenship verification takes longer in those cases.

Biometric passport or children's passport ("Kinderreisepass")?

It is possible to issue a child’s passport (Kinderreisepass) for a child up to 12 years old. However, due to the amended provisions regarding entry to the U.S., you should thoroughly consider applying for a German passport immediately instead of renewing a child’s passport.

Please also bear in mind that the child’s passport is not recognized by all countries. Before embarking on foreign travel, you should duly inquire whether the child’s entry and transit is even possible with a child’s passport.

What documents do I need?

· All documents have to be handed in as original + one copy.

Copies certified by a notary public or a German public authority can take the place of an original.

· Documents not issued in German, English or French have to be translated into German or English.

Please submit the following documents when you apply in person:


Completed application form signed by both parents / legal guardians

Passport Information Kit and Application Form for Minors. Note: Form can be filled out on screen when saved. [pdf, 399.89k]

Passfotos / Photo requirements [pdf, 137.28k]


One passport picture, good contrast. Starting at the age of six, the picture must conform to biometric standards.


Last German passport or other German ID (If applicable)


Birth certificate (If child was born in Canada, the “Registration of Live Birth” / “Declaration de naissance” is required.)


If applicable: marriage certificate of parents (If married in Canada, the official certificate from the registrar’s office / Directeur de l’état civil is required. Documents issued by a church or other religious institution are not sufficient.)


Birth certificate of German parent/s (If born in Canada, the “Registration of Live Birth” / “Declaration de naissance” is required.)


Current passports of both parents

If the German parent/s and/or the child were naturalized in Germany: certificate of naturalization (“Einbürgerungsurkunde”) OR “Registrierschein” (for late repatriates)

If the German parent/s and/or the child were naturalized in Canada: Canadian certificate of citizenship + “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”, permit to retain German citizenship


If the child lives in Canada as a foreigner: valid Canadian Permanent Resident card OR valid visa OR Search of Citizenship Record


If applicable: Canadian passport


If applicable: a certificate of name issued by a German civil registry (to find out whether the name of the child might not yet be established according to German law, please see our website.)


If the address in the last passport is still a German residence: Proof of deregistration (“Abmeldebescheinigung”)


Fee: Applicants under 24 yrs: approx. CAN $ 105,- (depending on the exchange rate)

An additional fee of approx. CAN $ 100,- will apply for applications submitted with an Honorary Consul.

If you want the new passport to be sent my mail:


XPresspost prepaid envelope (standard size)

Shipments within ON or BC require XPresspost prepaid envelope – regional.

Shipments to other provinces require XPresspost prepaid envelope – national.


Signed notice on the use of mail services (part of the information package above)

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Passports for Minors



applicants above 24 years
ca C$140,-*
applicants under 24 years
ca C$105,-*

*depends on currency exchange rate. 

Fees are payable in cash in C$. We cannot accept cheques or debit cards. Only the Consulates in Toronto and Vancouver accept credit cards (Visa, Mastercard).

The office of the Honorary Consuls may charge additional fees.

Book Your Appointment


The Consulates General in Toronto and Vancouver are using an online appointment booking system. Please book your appointment in advance:

Appointments - Consulate in Toronto

Appointments - Consulate in Vancouver

Please note that for the time being the Safari browser is incompatible with the appointment booking system.

Appointments with Honorary Consuls may be booked over the phone. Please find their contact details here.