Traveling to Canada with a German Passport? New: electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Notice Enlarge image (©

eTA is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. It will allow Canada to screen travellers before they arrive. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

eTA launched on August 1, 2015. German citizens wishing to travel to Canada via plane can apply for the eTA permit through a simple online application on the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):

The application fee is C$7,-.

Please familiarize yourself with any necessary procedures and be informed which documents you will have to present at the border crossing. Questions with regard to Canadian immigration can only be answered by the competent Canadian consular authority.

eTA will be mandatory to enter Canada after March 15, 2016.

Emergency Information for German Travelers


Lost your wallet or passport during your Canadian stay? Need to call home or cancel your credit card? Find an answer to these questions here (in German language).

Safe Travel – the App (in German language)

Immer aktuell

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has compiled information for your safe and smooth trip abroad in an app for android smartphones, tablets, iPhone and iPad.

Prepare your trip, find emergency information and addresses of diplomatic missions abroad.

Safe Travel – the App (in German language)